Heading Issue

Oct 26, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Hi,

For me, the heading only works correctly when the phone is aligned horizontally (e.g. flat on the table). When hold vertically (portrait) the heading just points north.

Could this be a device issue? As seen in your videos, you use an HTC. I've got an LG e900.

I first thought that maybe the axes were mapped wrongly. So I tried using pitch and roll for heading readings instead of yaw. But the readings for those axes seem to be correct.

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:46 PM

I have exactly the same problem. I am using an HTC HD7.

When it is on its side(right) the heading is correct but none of the ARItems are ever displayed, but when it's upright the items are displayed but the heading is wrong.

Developer
Nov 5, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Hi,

I am experiencing the same issue at the moment, which is weird, because it used to work quite ok indoors and outdoors. Checked my HTC Compass App - compass is pointing in the same directions regardless of my orientation.

Could you check if your HTC compass app is yielding any meaningful results?

Coordinator
Nov 7, 2011 at 12:52 PM

This sounds very odd. Can you guys each tell me your phones make and model?

I'd like for you guys to also try a 3rd party app that uses the standard APIs. Even before Mango shipped, OEMs like HTC were able to use their own proprietary APIs for accessing the compass. HTCs compass app could still be doing that today.

Can you please download and try a 3rd party compass app? I'm a fan of "Jack of Tools" because it tells you when your device needs calibration and also an alternative way of calibrating it different from the "figure 8". The figure 8 wasn't working on my HTC but the alternative method (slow panorma) did.

Jack of Tools can be found here:

http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=a123abec-407e-e011-986b-78e7d1fa76f8

They have an exceptional FAQ about using the compass here:

http://mobile.digitalmason.net/jackoftools/faq#TOC-compass

Definately check out that FAQ and see if it helps at all. If the compass seems to be working correctly in JoT but not in GART, I'll try to get it fixed in GART. If it's not working correctly in JoT then I can ask our internal forums if it's a known issue or if it's being worked on. But again, I'll need your make and model for that.

Thanks guys

Developer
Nov 7, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Hi there,

My compass on HTC Mozart needed calibration. Now it works well in JoT and in GART. I think it would nice to have some kind of indicator "compass calibration needed" in GART.

Nov 7, 2011 at 1:13 PM

After calibration, the compass of Jack of Tools works fine on my device. Doesn't matter whether the phone lies flat on the table or is held in portrait mode.

However, in GART it still doesn't work in portrait (or landscape) mode.

LG's own AR app (ScanSearch) also works fine. But as you stated, they could be using their own API.

I've got an LG E900 aka Optimus 7