This project is read-only.

Windows phone 8

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:06 AM
Edited Oct 31, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Hello, 

I'm trying to port one of my WP7 apps that use GART to WP8 but I get some problems. I can add it as a reference just fine and I get no errors, but when I try to compile I get:

"The type or namespace name GART could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?"

Any way to fix this? Thanks. 

Edit: 

Fixed it. Downloaded the source and converted the project to WP8 then it worked :-) 

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:54 AM
Meei wrote:

Fixed it. Downloaded the source and converted the project to WP8 then it worked :-) 

It doesn't work for me. When trying to bouild I get:

The type or namespace name 'Viewport' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:27 PM
anderZubi wrote:
Meei wrote:

It doesn't work for me. When trying to bouild I get:

The type or namespace name 'Viewport' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Same for me :(

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I tried to convert GART to WP8 and hit the same problem.
Looks like after converting a reference to XNA framework is lost. Tried to re-add it manually, but it doesn't seem to work.

According to this page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/windowsphone/develop/jj207003(v=vs.105).aspx one should be able to reference and use Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll (C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\WindowsPhone\v8.0\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll) but that didn't work for me.

I plan to start working on writing a non-XNA equivalent of ViewPort, so hopefully we could run GART on Win8RT / WP8 soon.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I did some more investigation. Looks like ViewPort class is implemented in the Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.dll and I can't see that file in my WindowsPhone 8 folder, so it looks like we going to need a non-XNA version.

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Piotrw, I am working on this now too. We should coordinate over Skype.

I have an e-mail thread internally to see about using the source. So far I haven't heard back on that but I did hear back from someone else about the general problem. Here's what he had to say:

This problem really common in games and 3d authoring tools, but they usually call it Screen To World and World To Screen.  

Here is an ok blog post. http://webglfactory.blogspot.com/2011/05/how-to-convert-world-to-screen.html

To completely remove the dependency on xna, you will probably need to implement matrix multiplication, too.  System.Drawing.Drawing2D.Matrix is only a 2D matrix, but you need a 3D matrix.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:16 PM

same case with me.. trying to develop wp8 app with gart. but i'm getting following error The type or namespace name 'GART' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)  please help me out

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:02 PM
Edited Dec 16, 2012 at 9:03 PM

GART has not been ported to wp8 yet but it is on our roadmap. We are almost done with win8 support then we will tackle wp8. For now you can do a wp7 project if that meets your needs (wp7 apps run on wp8). Sorry for the lack of support, were just trying to find the time amongst other commitments.

If you are interested in working on the port yourself, please contact me about joining as a contributor.

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Sorry, have not checked the thread for a while. 

But I'm running it on windows phone 8 right now and even if it seems a bit bugged (as I didn't do any real change, if I remember correctly I converted the source to windows phone 8 and added the XNA dlls I needed manually) it works okay. 

The problem is that it take a while for it to get to the right place (when I used with windows phone 7 it happen instantly, now I have to wait a couple of seconds) and sometimes they start to move by themself. But happy to hear some are working with a correct port. 

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Hi,

I try to build your project (commit 71606) for Windows Phone 8, and I have many issues : The type or namespace name 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics' cound not be found (are you missing an assembly reference ?)
Do you have a solution to have a assembly of your project for Windows Phone 8 ?

Thx !
Mar 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Hi,

Add "X3D" to you project's Build / Conditional compilation symbols. This will assure, that GART is not using XNA.
Note, that GART is currently transitioning to support Win8 / WP8, so there may be some new issues, as the commit 71606 is not final/stable one
Mar 7, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Hi piotrw,

I know it's not the right thing to do, but do you have an ETA? I have to start a new project with GART and I must use WP8, so I'd like to know when a stable release is planned :)

Anyway, if the current code compiles and runs with Wp8 so we can use it for testing purpose... I'm just fine with that :) how does GART integrate with toolkits with MVVM light?

Thanks!!! :)
Mar 7, 2013 at 1:23 PM
Hi red87,

You should be able to grab latest gart and run it with your WP8 project. Have look at this issue tho: http://gart.codeplex.com/workitem/9942
As for stable release I can't give you any estimates. Also not sure about mvvm light toolkit, as I haven't use it before.